Operation H.O.P.E (Health, Outreach, Partnership, Encouragement) was a community project for the community by the community. The idea was to reach those who were the most vulnerable during the winter months of the pandemic: those who were experiencing homelessness and those who were in nursing homes facing isolation. We wanted to make sure they know that we care about them too.
We partnered with Shelters, Nursing homes, and Non Profits to provide individuals with little bags full of goodies. At a minimum, we provided them with:
- Hand Sanitizer
- A treat like a couple of mints
- A word of encouragement or artwork (Greeting Cards, Origami, or 3D Printed Items)
- A warm item (socks, scarves, beanies, mittens).
Last year from October to February, we were able to make 5000 bags and distribute them to 64 organizations across the Portland Metro region. We worked with City officials, community members, and corporations to make this happen.
This year we want to expand our reach to Clackamas and Yamhill County too!
We need your help to write positive affirmative note cards for houseless people in the shelter and elders in care facilities.
You can purchase the cards from Amazon, or you can get creative and use materials or paper that you already have at home. For some samples, click here.
Remember that your message should be positive and age-appropriate for recipients
- Nothing is impossible, the word self says I'm possible
- Don't be discouraged, its often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock
- There is always light at the end of the tunnel
- Rise above the storm and you will find sunshine
- You are amazing for facing this with so much courage and strength
- Hold On Pandemic Ends (HOPE). Don't give up
Please refrain from including any personally identifiable information on your note of encouragement. You may sign with your initials or with your first name only.
We encourage you to make as many cards as you can. Once your cards have been created, please mail or ship them to:
Asha Hope Amanaki
7325 NE Imbrie Dr
Hillsboro, OR 97124
You can reach out to us at email@example.com and let us know your interests.
- Have you been exposed to someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19? See the CDC’s risk assessment guidance.
- Do you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19? Symptoms can include a cough or shortness of breath or at least two of the following: Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, New loss of taste or smell. See the CDC’s symptom information.